Year of formation : 1949 July 1
Main rivers : Meenachil, Manimala
- Kottayam district is known as 'Land of Letters and Latex'.
- The leading producer of rubber in Kerala is Kottayam district.
- Kottayam is the only district that does not share border with a neighboring state.
- First Chumar Chitra Nagaram in Kerala
- Kottayam is the first Tobacco free district in India.
- First rubberised road in Kerala Kottayam Kumali.
- CMS Press is the first press in Kerala.
- Bharananganam church is in Kottayam.
- Hindustan Papers at Velloor, Travancore Cements at Nattakam and Kerala Rubber Board are in Kottayam district.
- Uzhavoor is the birth place of former President of India Late K.R. Narayanan.
- Kumarakam in Kottayam district is a major tourist centre and a bird sanctuary.
- Shores of Meenachal river is the background for Arundhati Roy's Booker Prize winning novel "God of Small Things".
- The oldest newspaper in Kerala still continues publishing is Deepika, started in 1887 from Mannanam, in Kottayam district.