Year of formation : 1972, January 26
Headquarters : Painav
Major rivers : Periyar and its tributaries
- Idukki lost the position of the biggest district when Kuttampuzha village in Idukki district was given to Ernakulam district.
- District without railway line.
- The Mullapperiyar dam, a bone of contention between Kerala and Tamil Nadu, is built across Periyar near Kumaly in Idukki district.
- District with the lowest density of population.
- District with lowest sex ratio.
- District with the largest area under forest cover.
- Known as the treasure house of spices.
- First spice park in Kerala : Puttadi
- The first hydro electric project in Kerala - Pallivasal, The highest arch dam in India - Idukki (across river Periyar), Chenkulam dam, Neriyamangalam dam, Idamalayar dam etc. are in Idukki district.
- The only Sandal wood forest in Kerala is at Marayur in Idukki district. Marayur is a rainshadow region.
- The highest peak in Kerala, and in South India - Anamudi (2695 m) is in Idukki district, near Munnar.
- Idukki district has the specialty of having the biggest Assembly constituency in Kerala (Udumpunchola), the biggest Panchayat (Kumaly) and the smallest Panchayat (Vattavada).
- Idukki district leads in the production of tea and cardamom.
- The main health resorts of Idukki district are Munnar, Devikulam, Peerumede, Thekkady.
- Munnar is called 'Kashmir of the South'.
- Iravikulam National Park, established in 1978 to protect the Nilgiri Tahr, wildlife sanctuaries like Chinnar and Periyar, Powerhouse at Moolamattom, Indo-Swiss Project (for breeding high yield cattle) at Mattupetty and the wind energy production centre at Ramakkalmedu are the other attractions of Idukki district.
- Idukki district has the largest number of National Parks (4) and wildlife sanctuaries (4) in Kerala.
- The first National Park in Kerala (Iravikulam) and the first wildlife sanctuary in Kerala (Periyar) are in Idukki district.
- The biggest wildlife sanctuary in Kerala is Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.