1. Bharatiya Jnanpith Award for the year 1995 was won by
[a] M.T. Vasudevan Nair
[b] Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai
[c] O.N.V. Kurup
[d] Malayattoor Ramakrishnan
2. What is the approximate number of genes synthesized by Dr. Har Gobind Khorana?
3. The longest river in India is the
4. Ashoka’s Dhamma should be interpreted as
[a] An attitude of social responsibility
[b] A synonym for Buddhism
[c] Declarations of the kings as a lay Buddhist to the Buddhist Sangha
[d] Piety resulting from good deeds inspired by formal religious beliefs.
5. Our body gets the continuous supply of energy through the process called
[c] blood circulation
6. An astronaut on an earth satellite will observe the sky as:
[a] deep red
[b] sky blue
[d] deep blue
7. An example for tribasic acid is:
[a] phosphoric acid
[b] sulphuric acid
[c] nitric acid
[d] carbonic acid
8. Dynamo was invented by
9. Who founded the so-called Slave Dynasty of India
[b] Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq
[d] Qutub-ud-din Aibak
10. During whose reign did the Rajputs of Mewar submit to the Mughals and recognised, for the first time, the suzerainty of the Mughal empire ?
11. Which of the following is a mammal?
12. Railways were introduced in India when the Governor -General of India was
13. Who amongst the following first prohibited the practice of Sati ?
[c] Sher Shah Suri
14. The secretion of the liver is:
[c] Gastric juice
[d] Hydrochloric acid
15. The Ajanta caves in Maharashtra dating from about 150 BC to AD 650, are the work of the
[a] Vakataka and early Chalukya kings
16. Who, amongst the following ruleres, had the ‘Chain of Justice’ fastened up which could be shaken up by the humbest of his subjects to bring their grievances of his notice ?
[b] Chandragupta Vikramaditya
17. The title of ‘Viceroy’ was added to the office of the Governor General of India for the first time in
[a] 1848 A.D.
[b] 1856 A.D.
[c] 1858 A.D.
[d] 1862 A.D.
18. Which of the following is regarded as the principal cause of the downfall of the Mauryan empire ?
[a] Religious poliyc of Ashoka which suppressed the Brahmins
[b] Weak successor sof Ashoka who could not control the empire properly
[c] Ashoka’s abandonment of war and his pro-Buddhist policy
[d] Oppressive rule of the Mauryan officials.
19. The best known example of th eHoysala style of architecture is found in the temple built at
20. The Indus Valley Civilisation belongs to
[a] Palaeolithic Age
[b] Mesolithic Age
[c] Chalcolithic Age
[d] Neoloitic Age